7/6/04

Buffy season finales

Saw the final episode of season 7 some days back, and it struck me that Joss Whedon seems to have the most cinematic style of the directors...either that, or because he's producer, he can command the best talents, biggest budget, etc. The TV screen seems deeper when he's directing.

The seasons the Buffistas usually gripe about, season 5 and 6 and 7, I don't know, I like 'em, especially 5 and 6. Glory I thought a clever supervillain--I could see the story conference: "How about we get someone as annoying as Cordelia, then give her godlike powers? Wouldn't the viewers just love to see her ass kicked?"

Season 6 has its virtues, I thought--no great issues, just a lot of smaller, grittier, grimmer ones. Like real life, which is apparently what Whedon intended.

Oh, and the final song on the soundtrack as the finale winds up, the Catholic schoolboy in me recognized it. It's by Francis of Assissi:


1. Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me bring you love;
Where there is injury, your healing pow'r,
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

2. Make me a channel of your peace:
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope;
Where there is darkness, - only light,
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

3. O Spirit, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love with all my soul - .

4. Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving to all that we receive,
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

Kind of moving, to find so Catholic a prayer in a show chock full of pagan trappings.

No comments: