2/10/04

Mario O'Hara and Nora Aunor

"Bulaklak sa City Jail" is a wonderful film, and a superior example of the "women in prison" genre, without the taint of exploitation.

It's also got a knockout ensemble cast, as mentioned above, even a great cameo by German Moreno as an evil gay warden.

"Condemned" I'd call a perfect thriller, maybe one of the best noirs in Philippine cinema, and according to O'Hara, his favorite of his films.

"Kastilyong Buhangin," I wrote about here:

Kastilyong Buhangin  

And "Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos," I wrote about here:

Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos

(If it looks funny, try clicking on the "unwrap lines" button above the article, it might help).

I've said this before, but I'll probably never get tired of saying it again: O'Hara's collaborations with Aunor are magic.  More than Brocka, who rejected the chance to direct her in "Tatlong Taong" ("I don't want anything to do with that Superstar!") more than Bernal, he understood her the best, I think.

No comments: