7/9/05

Robert Towne rewrites "The Empire Strikes Back"

I always wondered what if Robert Towne had rewritten parts of The Empire Strikes Back:

Skywalker, crawling away from Darth Vader, Vader following. "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father," Vader tells him.

"He told me enough!" Luke shrieks. "He told me you killed him!"

"No. I am your father."

Skywalker takes his lightsaber and whips it across Vader's mask with a loud CLANG!

Vader is stunned. In a shaky voice, he says: "I am your brother."

CLANG! Skywalker saber-whips him again.

"Your father."

CLANG!

"Your brother."

CLANG!

"Your father, your brother..."

CLANG!

"Your father and your brother!"

Luke's arm stops, frozen; Vader, faceplate dented and near tears, looks at him. "Your sister Leia and I...understand? Or is it too tough for you?"

No comments: